Sunday, February 3, 2013

Talking to some friends on Twitter about a homeopathic treatment I've often used for colds or sniffles, I decided to research the ingredients to see if I could find any scientific basis for the if, why and how it works.

Surprisingly, there's actually a lot of research out there that suggests this treatment is ideal for what I use it for.

The treatment is as follows: Dissolve 1 TBSP of honey in  1 TBSP of hot water, add a shot of whiskey, squeeze of lemon, dash of cinnamon and dash of cayenne, down it all at once.

Here's the information I've found on the web about this list of ingredients:

Honey and Cinnamon both have strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and cinnamon has long been used in some cultures as an expectorant. Combined they help with chronic cough and also clear the sinuses.

Whiskey helps with relaxation and the relief of stress. It also has the short term capability to increase the body's ability to absorb antioxidants. In moderation it aids in sleep and offers mild relief from pain and discomfort.

Lemon offers both antibacterial and antiviral properties. Applying those antiviral properties to the mucous membranes of the throat help speed recovery and ease inflammation. It is also, of course, an excellent source of vitamin C and is an astringent.

Cayenne is also a well documented anti-irritant, antibacterial and antiviral agent. It helps to break up and aid in the removal of mucus and eases the pain of sore throats. It also acts as a catalyst for all the other ingredients, speeding and enhancing their healing properties.

It appears that individually all the above ingredients could help with symptomatic relief from colds, fevers and sore throats, but when used all together they support and increase the healing powers of each other.

Sort makes me wish I had a cold right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment